English to English
1. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus
the generic name
2. Pertaining to a genus or kind; relating to a genus, as distinct from a species, or from another genus; as, a generic description; a generic difference; a generic name.
3. (of drugs) not protected by trademark
`Acetaminophen' is the generic form of the proprietary drug `Tylenol'
4. applicable to an entire class or group
is there a generic Asian mind?
5. a wine that is a blend of several varieties of grapes with no one grape predominating; a wine that does not carry the name of any specific grape
6. any product that can be sold without a brand name