English to English
1. an item of information that is typical of a class or group
this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome|there is an example on page 10
2. a representative form or pattern
I profited from his example
3. something to be imitated
an exemplar of success|a model of clarity|he is the very model of a modern major general
4. punishment intended as a warning to others
they decided to make an example of him
5. an occurrence of something
it was a case of bad judgment|another instance occurred yesterday|but there is always the famous example of the Smiths
6. a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding
you must work the examples at the end of each chapter in the textbook
7. One or a portion taken to show the character or quality of the whole; a sample; a specimen.
8. To set an example for; to give a precedent for; to exemplify; to give an instance of; to instance.