English to English
1. an abstract part of something
jealousy was a component of his character|two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony|the grammatical elements of a sentence|a key factor in her success|humor: an effective ingredient of a speech
2. an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system
spare components for cars|a component or constituent element of a system
3. any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
4. the most favorable environment for a plant or animal
water is the element of fishes
5. one of four substances thought in ancient and medieval cosmology to constitute the physical universe
the alchemists believed that there were four elements
6. the situation in which you are happiest and most effective
in your element
7. a straight line that generates a cylinder or cone
8. One of the simplest or essential parts or principles of which anything consists, or upon which the constitution or fundamental powers of anything are based.
9. To compound of elements or first principles.