English to English
1. time during which some action is awaited
instant replay caused too long a delay|he ordered a hold in the action
2. the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
3. A putting off or deferring; procrastination; lingering inactivity; stop; detention; hindrance.
4. cause to be slowed down or delayed
Traffic was delayed by the bad weather|she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform
5. act later than planned, scheduled, or required
Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered
6. stop or halt
Please stay the bloodshed!
7. slow the growth or development of
The brain damage will retard the child's language development
8. To put off; to defer; to procrastinate; to prolong the time of or before.
9. To move slowly; to stop for a time; to linger; to tarry.