English to English
1. Pertaining to the regions remote from a city; rural; rustic; as, a country life; a country town; the country party, as opposed to city.
2. a politically organized body of people under a single government
the state has elected a new president|African nations|students who had come to the nation's capitol|the country's largest manufacturer|an industrialized land
3. the territory occupied by a nation
he returned to the land of his birth|he visited several European countries
4. the people who live in a nation or country
a statement that sums up the nation's mood|the news was announced to the nation|the whole country worshipped him
5. an area outside of cities and towns
his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country
6. a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography)
it was a mountainous area|Bible country
7. A tract of land; a region; the territory of an independent nation; (as distinguished from any other region, and with a personal pronoun) the region of one's birth, permanent residence, or citizenship.