English to English
1. Possible, or liable, but not certain, to occur; incidental; casual.
2. possible but not certain to occur
they had to plan for contingent expenses
3. determined by conditions or circumstances that follow
arms sales contingent on the approval of congress
4. uncertain because of uncontrollable circumstances
the results of confession were not contingent, they were certain
5. a gathering of persons representative of some larger group
each nation sent a contingent of athletes to the Olympics
6. a temporary military unit
the peacekeeping force includes one British contingent
7. An event which may or may not happen; that which is unforeseen, undetermined, or dependent on something future; a contingency.