English to English
1. an occasion on which a winner is selected from among two or more contestants
2. a struggle between rivals
3. Earnest dispute; strife in argument; controversy; debate; altercation.
4. to make the subject of dispute, contention, or litigation
They contested the outcome of the race
5. To make a subject of dispute, contention, litigation, or emulation; to contend for; to call in question; to controvert; to oppose; to dispute.
6. To engage in contention, or emulation; to contend; to strive; to vie; to emulate; -- followed usually by with.