English to English
1. typical or distinctive
heard my friend's characteristic laugh|red and gold are the characteristic colors of autumn|stripes characteristic of the zebra
2. Pertaining to, or serving to constitute, the character; showing the character, or distinctive qualities or traits, of a person or thing; peculiar; distinctive.
3. a prominent attribute or aspect of something
the map showed roads and other features|generosity is one of his best characteristics
4. a distinguishing quality
5. the integer part (positive or negative) of the representation of a logarithm; in the expression log 643 = 2.808 the characteristic is 2
6. any measurable property of a device measured under closely specified conditions
7. A distinguishing trait, quality, or property; an element of character; that which characterized.