1. Dark blue, inclining to red; bluish purple; having a color produced by red and blue combined.
2. of a color intermediate between red and blue
3. any of numerous low-growing violas with small flowers
4. a variable color that lies beyond blue in the spectrum
5. Any plant or flower of the genus Viola, of many species. The violets are generally low, herbaceous plants, and the flowers of many of the species are blue, while others are white or yellow, or of several colors, as the pansy (Viola tricolor).