English to English
1. make (images or sounds) soft or softer
2. lessen in force or effect
soften a shock|break a fall
3. give in, as to influence or pressure
4. protect from impact
cushion the blow
5. make less severe or harsh
He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears
6. make soft or softer
This liquid will soften your laundry
7. become soft or softer
The bread will soften if you pour some liquid on it
8. To make soft or more soft.
9. To become soft or softened, or less rude, harsh, severe, or obdurate.