English to English
1. Crying for mercy, as a combatant in the trial by battle; yielding; cowardly; mean-spirited; craven.
2. having deserted a cause or principle
some provinces had proved recreant|renegade supporters of the usurper
3. lacking even the rudiments of courage; abjectly fearful
the craven fellow turned and ran|a craven proposal to raise the white flag|this recreant knight
4. an abject coward
5. a disloyal person who betrays or deserts his cause or religion or political party or friend etc.
6. One who yields in combat, and begs for mercy; a mean-spirited, cowardly wretch.