English to English
1. a heavy iron lever with one end forged into a wedge
2. A lever; also, leverage.
3. Curious inspection; impertinent peeping.
4. to move or force, especially in an effort to get something open
The burglar jimmied the lock|Raccoons managed to pry the lid off the garbage pail
5. be nosey
Don't pry into my personal matters!
6. search or inquire in a meddlesome way
This guy is always nosing around the office
7. make an uninvited or presumptuous inquiry
They pried the information out of him
8. To raise or move, or attempt to raise or move, with a pry or lever; to prize.
9. To peep narrowly; to gaze; to inspect closely; to attempt to discover something by a scrutinizing curiosity; -- often implying reproach.