English to English
1. tending to prevent or hinder
2. Going before; preceding.
3. preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease
preventive medicine|vaccines are prophylactic|a prophylactic drug
4. remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease
the doctor recommended several preventatives
5. any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
6. an agent or device intended to prevent conception
7. That which prevents, hinders, or obstructs; that which intercepts access; in medicine, something to prevent disease; a prophylactic.