English to English
1. a customary way of operation or behavior
it is their practice to give annual raises|they changed their dietary pattern
2. systematic training by multiple repetitions
practice makes perfect
3. translating an idea into action
a hard theory to put into practice|differences between theory and praxis of communism
4. the exercise of a profession
the practice of the law|I took over his practice when he retired
5. knowledge of how something is usually done
it is not the local practice to wear shorts to dinner
6. Frequently repeated or customary action; habitual performance; a succession of acts of a similar kind; usage; habit; custom; as, the practice of rising early; the practice of making regular entries of accounts; the practice of daily exercise.
7. carry out or practice; as of jobs and professions
8. learn by repetition
We drilled French verbs every day|Pianists practice scales
9. engage in a rehearsal (of)
10. avail oneself to
apply a principle|practice a religion|use care when going down the stairs|use your common sense|practice non-violent resistance
11. engage in or perform
practice safe sex|commit a random act of kindness
12. To do or perform frequently, customarily, or habitually; to make a practice of; as, to practice gaming.
13. To perform certain acts frequently or customarily, either for instruction, profit, or amusement; as, to practice with the broadsword or with the rifle; to practice on the piano.