English to English
1. An exclamation of mild surprise.
2. the collection of rules imposed by authority
civilization presupposes respect for the law|the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order
3. legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity
there is a law against kidnapping
4. a rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
5. a generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature
the laws of thermodynamics
6. the branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
7. the learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system
he studied law at Yale
8. the force of policemen and officers
the law came looking for him
9. In general, a rule of being or of conduct, established by an authority able to enforce its will; a controlling regulation; the mode or order according to which an agent or a power acts.
10. Same as Lawe, v. t.